Thursday, September 17, 2009

Addiction- A Disease

When I first got clean I thought the drugs where the problem. Little did I know it was a actual disease. A disease that was making me sick and living in my thinking. It is something in us that makes us uncapable to get off drugs. The funny thing about this disease is that its smarter than me and always knows what I'm thinking. Why? Because it lives in my thinking. It is so smart it tells me that I don't have a disease. That part is called denial. Thats the part that tells me that I don't need to get off drugs. When in the grips of denial we are unable to see the pain we are causing and the harm we are doing to ourselves. Denial will minimize our using so we won't see the need to get off drugs. It will tell us that it wasn't as bad as we thought even though our whole world is crashing around us. The disease will having us lying and the denial will have us believing our own lies. The only thing that could break us from this fantasy is the pain from hitting the bottom. Thats the glorios time in a addicts life when that moment of clarity. Its the only thing strong enough to wipe the denial from the eyes and show us the need to get off drugs.

Here are some questions you amy ask yourself
  • Have I felt addiction working in my life today?
  • Do I blame others for the things I do?
  • Do I think I'm not strong enough to do this alone?
If you have felt or thought any of these questions, do not worry, you are not alone. There are people out there that can help. Contact your local church or give yourself a break and contact Na.org. Theres people out there to help that have been exactly where you are.

No comments: